Saturday 7 March 2009

Bowland Beauties






At long last Spring was making an effort to arrive. On a lovely sunny day with blue skies for a change I decided on a drive through the Bowland area to see what was about. I began at the Brock Valley Picnic Site and after putting some seed on the bird tables I was rewarded with some nice shots of the usual nuthatches, blue tits, great tits, etc. I had hoped for a Great spotted Woodpecker but none were about. I then moved on to Harrisend Fell where the highlight of the day , a stunning male stonechat was performing for the camera alongside the road. I didn't need to get out of the car as the stonechat flitted along the wall and fenceposts . His mate was in close attendance and they both gave some wonderful opportunities for shots as they posed just feet away from the lens. I then drove on and through the Trough of Bowland to Dunsop Bridge. Bird wise it was very quiet and the hoped for Red Grouse and Dippers didn't materialise. It was nice however to see the lapwings and curlews returning to the hill pastures and to hear again the evocative call of the curlew over the  breeding grounds. A super afternoon out in wonderful scenery and weather.

1 comment:

  1. Won me over with this entry to your blog Brian with excellent pic's of male and female Stonechat and the wonderful view from the lay-by just before the access path to Rams Gill on the left opposite which I observed a pair of Whinchat early last summer but I have reason to suspect they didn't breed here, I didn't see them after the initial sighting despite one or two visits here.

    Many thanks for the link to Birds2blog, much appreciated Brian.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete