Thursday 3 April 2014

Waders and Wheatears










This week on what was probably the warmest day of the year so far,I visited the coast at Southport. This is one of my favourite parts of the Lancashire coastline and I visit frequently particularly at times of high tide.This week there have been more spring tides and as well as the usual assembly of waders I was hoping to see and photograph wheatears. A number of these lovely spring migrants had already graced the coastline and I hoped to catch up with one or two.

It turned out to be a magnificent very warm day with blue skies and little or no wind. As usual at this time of the year and on such a beautiful day the skylarks were out in force pouring out their wonderful songs from the blue skies above.The waders were distant but eventually a good number of knot put in an appearance not too far away and I managed to creep up within camera range and obtained some reasonable images as shown above

I had spotted some wheatears on the way out but they were skittish and kept well out of camera range.However on the return journey I spotted five wheatears around one hundred metres ahead.I decided to stay put and concealed myself behind some vegetation and eventually the birds came closer and closer.Eventually after around twenty minutes they were well within camera range and I fired off many shots of these handsome birds.It had been a very interesting session with the camera and I have posted above a selection of the many images I took. Hope you enjoy my efforts and thanks for looking in.. 


4 comments:

  1. Great shots of the Wheatears Brian, we are off to RSPB South Stack on Anglesey hoping to see some there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary.Thanks for comments.Good luck for wheatears at South Stack.Re Harriers at Leighton,they were performing to the left of Grizedale hide.Thanks to you both for looking in and I may meet up sometime. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Brian, that is where we saw them as well, hoping to get back up there soon again. Saw no Wheatears yesterday but a pair of Peregrines really made our day, they are on my page. Likewise hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  2. Impressive wader roost Brian,and great close ups of the Wheatears.

    ReplyDelete