Thursday 5 March 2015

Out and About








Managed to get out and about one afternoon this week.I visited a couple of local nature reserves.My first port of call was to Longton Brickcroft where I was hoping to see the great crested grebes displaying.The pair of grebes on the main lake were sleeping and did not appear to have started nest building.On the smaller lake there was a lonesome grebe calling for a mate but no other grebes were in sight.What was nice to see were two pairs of goldeneye but I think they are just passing through.

Later I visited Mere Sands nature reserve at Rufford.Again there was no sign of displaying grebes so maybe I am too early at these two locations.Again a nice surprise was a group of little egrets,not a common sight at Mere Sands.They were preening and enjoying the afternoon sun.There is still a lot of disturbance at Mere Sands with workmen cutting down and burning big swathes of woodland.No sign of the kingfishers but a couple of herons and the egrets gave me some opportunities for the camera.I hope for more action in the coming weeks as temperatures rise and nature responds.Thanks for looking in and hope you enjoy this week's images.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like another wonderful day out Brian with great light for photography.Hopefully everything will be kicking off in the next couple of weeks and it would be nice to bump into you on our travels.

    ReplyDelete