Saturday 6 June 2020

Bowland...Curlews

Recently I have spent time in Bowland observing the wonderful landscape and wildlife.I have been leaving home very early morning to enjoy the cooler conditions as it has been too hot during the day as we enjoyed a record dry May with virtually no rain and very warm temperatures.It was a fantastic experience to watch the day unfold and to see the birds and creatures going about their daily lives.In this post I am concentrating on the Curlew.

This iconic bird of the upland areas of Bowland seems to be doing quite well in this part of England.Sadly the numbers of curlews in the UK has halved.A quarter of the world population breeds in the UK and Ireland so this is a very serious matter and there is even talk of the species becoming extinct.Thankfully as I have said I have seen and heard reasonable numbers of breeding curlews in my travels.I have shown below a number of images of curlews and their habitat all taken from the car on my trips to Bowland.It is a lovely and iconic bird of the upland areas and I hope it remains in this part of Lancashire for many years to come.

Hope you enjoy my images below.Thanks for looking in and next time I will post images of owls seen on my recent travels in Bowland.Meantime stay safe and well and enjoy the cooler weather and much needed rainfall.



















2 comments:

  1. Hallo Brian, prachtige serie van de Wulp in zijn broedgebied. Gr. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos of the waders...with their long, curved bills, curlews are very impressive birds!
    Greetings, Janitha.

    ReplyDelete