Saturday 20 July 2019

Terns and Falcons

I always look forward each year to the arrival of the terns at the former Preston Dock where they have bred for a number of years.There haven't seemed quite as many this year but there has been plenty of action to keep the camera busy. I have only made a couple of visits and some of my better efforts are shown below.A lot of young chicks have been predated by the lesser black backed gulls and when one arrives looking for a takeaway the terns all rise up to see it off.Fighting,mating and coming in with food for the chicks can all be seen below.

After visiting the terns and on my way home I called in to see if the peregrine falcons were showing at St Walburges Church.Martin keeps a regular eye on the falcons and said they had been showing well.So it proved and I had nice views of an adult and one of the young way up on the side of the church.I didn't stay long having obtained some decent images of these wonderful birds.All this seen a few miles from home showing that you don't always have to travel far to see some of nature's spectacular birds.Hope you enjoy my efforts and next time I will probably be reporting on the Lake District ospreys which are having a successful season and will soon be departing for their Winter Holidays in West Africa.Thanks for looking in.
















2 comments:

  1. Lovely images of the Terns, Brian. I always think of them as the Jack Russell of the bird world... small & feisty! You're lucky to have Peregrines so close to you, it is true that we tend to overlook what's on our doorstep when it comes to wildlife! I'm looking forward to your next post about the Ospreys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Thanks so much for sharing this real thing by your great looking photography.

    ReplyDelete