Friday 6 January 2017

Waxwing Fest...Barrow.Lancs.

The New Year began as 2016 had finished with yet more waxwings.Around one hundred birds had arrived at the berry laden trees lining the main street of Barrow village near Whalley.I made a couple of trips to obtain yet more waxwing images for the portfolio.The first visit was a bit dull and cloudy but the waxwings performed well.There were only a handful of photographers there and it was nice to see Simon who I had not seen for over twelve months.

My second visit was on the Bank Holiday Monday 2nd January.After a frosty start it was to become a sparkling winter's day with prolonged sunshine.When I arrived I was amazed by the number of photographers already there.The long lenses were in evidence all along Trafalgar Gardens overlooking the berry laden trees.Many top notch photographers were there to take advantage of the wonderful weather.There were still plenty of waxwings  but I didn't think quite as many as previously.

What a wonderful time we all had chatting and exchanging information on this super day.I am fairly certain that everyone went away very happy with memory cards full of images.As I write my blog the waxwings have moved on and good numbers are now in the centre of Blackburn.I am however very satisfied with the images I obtained.As well as the waxwings, visits from starlings,mistle thrush and redwing added to the variety.I think I am now over this severe case of waxwingitis and can rest easy having obtained lots of images of these very special visitors from Scandanavia.Hope you enjoy my selection from the thousands of images I took and I will return soon with more from Lancs.























No comments:

Post a Comment