Thursday 3 November 2016

Great White Egret...Leighton Moss

Last week I made a visit to Leighton Moss to see what was around.A number of Great White Egrets,up to five I believe,had been roosting at Leighton along with large numbers of little egrets.The Great White Egret is a bird that is appearing regularly now in this country and is a possible coloniser as did the little egret some years ago. I saw a couple from Lillian's hide but they were distant and only provided record shots for the camera. Later from the causeway hide I saw another distant Great White feeding at the far end of the reserve and close to the Lower hide.

I hot footed it down to the lower hide and there was the Great White giving excellent views close to the hide.However it soon flew to the other side but eventually came back to fish in front of the hide.












By now the sun was beginning to set after another fabulous Autumn day and the light was perfect to photograph this spectacular bird.It had found a hot spot and was catching small pike.Whilst I was watching it caught four small pike and gave me some great opportunities for the camera.The sunset was also lovely to see and all too soon both egret and the sun vanished.It was a super end to an otherwise quiet day at Leighton Moss.Thanks for looking in and hope you enjoy the images above of this spectacular egret in the late afternoon sunshine.

3 comments:

  1. brilliant images of a stunning bird...great work Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos Brian! I wonder, would you be able to send me a couple? I'm doing a family workshop at Lancashire Wildlife Trust in Heysham, we'll be making egret puppets out of plastic waste to highlight the problem of plastic in the marine food chain. I'm going to do little egrets too. The more locally based I can make this, the better. Thank you, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete