Saturday 9 January 2016

An Owly New Year...Barn Owl

The weather for the New Year has still been very wet at times but with one or two drier interludes. I have managed to get out to do some photography with visits to Martin Mere and Lytham Moss.It has been noticeable recently that barn owls have been seen regularly at various locations hunting in the early afternoons.The vole population must have also been active at these times and it has been good to have some excellent sightings of both barn owl and short eared owl.

For my first post of the New Year I will concentrate on the barn owl. I had noted that barn owls were being seen on a daily basis out hunting at Martin Mere.On Tuesday afternoon therefore I was in position in the Ron Barker hide awaiting the appearance of a barn owl.It wasn't long before one was seen on a fence post but some distance away and another very distant barn owl was also spotted but again much too far away.Then suddenly another barn owl appeared at the end of the fence line close to the hide.This owl was very much in hunting mode and for the next forty minutes or so those present were treated to some fabulous views of this lovely bird.The bird was post hopping and looking for prey as it came along the fenceline towards the waiting watchers and photographers.

I made the most of this splendid opportunity firing off dozens of shots as the bird came ever closer.It did at one point catch a vole and ate it whilst on the floor.It was a wonderful experience to watch the owl for a lengthy period in excellent light. I hope my images below convey some of the magic of watching this barn owl.This was the first barn owl I had seen from the hides at Martin Mere and I hope it wont be the last.My next posting will be showing the short eared owl seen at Lytham Moss on the following day. Thanks for looking in and keep tuned for more of Lancashire's wildlife.
















1 comment:

  1. Great selection of Barn Owl images Brain.I`m hoping to catch up with them soon.

    ReplyDelete