Saturday 17 October 2009

Great White And A Few Reds






I visited Leighton Moss yesterday with the hope of seeing Bearded Tit and Red Deer Stags. The bearded tits have been showing well recently as they visited the grit trays provided for them adjoining the causeway to the Public Hide. When I arrived late morning the tits hadn't been seen at all so I proceeded to the Lower Hide where a bittern had been showing but my luck was out again as it didn't reappear during my stay.
The rest of the afternoon was spent at the Griesdale Hide waiting for some action from the Red Deer,particularly the stags, which had been showing well recently. To see some excellent images of the stags visit the link to Paul Foster's Blog, A Walk On The Wildside. During my wait the Great White Egret ,which has been present for a while dropped in to feed right at the back of the reserve. Unfortunately it was too far away for decent images but I did manage a few passable shots of this splendid and very impressive bird. It departed after about half an hour and I awaited some action from the red deer.
It was a long wait before some deer appeared but again they were right at the back of the reserve. Unfortunately they were not the hoped for stags but a small family party of two hinds  with their youngsters feeding in a patch of late evening sunshine. A quick look at the Tim Jackson Hide drew a blank and I decided to make for home. It had still been very enjoyable as all visits to Leighton Moss are and I look forward to my next visit to this excellent Nature Reserve.

5 comments:

  1. Just excellent photogrphy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good I'd say for a day that didn't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shots of the Great White Egret Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian,shame you couldn`t get onto the stags at the reserve.I`m sure they`ll show for you soon.

    Great shots of the great white though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello friends,

    Really, you have created a nice site about wildlife photography. The lifespan of red deer stag animal is 10-12 years. Males and females live separately in herds. Summer and winter territories are different and these animals migrate in large herds, but if people feed them, they remain in their winter range. Thanks a lot.....

    Wildlife Photographer

    ReplyDelete