Sunday 13 May 2018

Black Necked Grebe....Kincraig Lake

A week or so ago it was a nice surprise to discover that a black necked grebe in breeding plumage had appeared on a lake at Bispham Blackpool.This is a very uncommon bird in Lancashire and nationally only a few pairs breed in Britain.In breeding plumage it is a stunning looking bird and I was anxious to add some images to my portfolio.

I went with Mike and it was not easy to find Kincraig Lake but we did eventually, tucked away in the middle of a large housing estate in Bispham.It was only a short walk to the viewing area and this pleased me as I was still having troublesome mobility problems.It was a while before the grebe came out of hiding to show itself to the waiting photographers.It was well worth the wait as we saw it in its breeding finery with wonderful golden ear tufts and a hypnotic fabulous red and yellow eye. I obviously filled my boots with images of this splendid bird and vowed to return later in the week.

Fortunately the grebe was still showing well and giving excellent views to it's admirers.Mike and I did return and met up with Graham and Dave and Jackie Moreton.Once more I got my share of wonderful images and it was an encounter that will live long in the memory.As I write this on Sunday I understand the grebe has departed. Hopefully it may return one day to once more delight those fortunate to see this gorgeous bird.






































No comments:

Post a Comment